Temporary dental crowns are just that -- a temporary fix until your permanent crown is ready. We at Minton Dental Care recommend the following to help ensure that your temporary crown stays on properly.
• Rinse once a day for three days with warm salt water (one teaspoon to 6 ozs or so) to encourage the gum to tighten up around the temporary crown
• Avoid sticky, chewy foods (for example, chewing gum, caramel), which have the potential of grabbing and pulling off the temporary crown.
• Minimize the use of that side of your mouth with the temporary crown. Shift the bulk of your chewing to the other side of your mouth.
• Avoid chewing hard foods (such as raw vegetables), which could dislodge or break the temporary crown.
• Pull flossing material out of the front of your tooth (rather than lifting it up) when cleaning your teeth.
Lifting the floss up and out, as you normally would, might pull off the temporary crown.
WHAT IF MY TEMPORARY CROWN COMES OFF?
Most important thing is not to panic if this happens; this is not an emergency situation, but do not be surprised if the exposed tooth is a bit sensitive. That is normal. The temporary crown does need to be recemented soon, but in the meantime follow these suggestions.
• Call our office to make an appointment or leave a message concerning the need to make an appointment to recement your temporary crown.
• Take some petroleum jelly, toothpaste, or some DENTAL temporary cement you buy at your local pharmacy and coat the inside of your temporary crown. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF MATERIAL TO HOLD YOUR TEMPORARY IN PLACE!! Place it back on your prepared tooth. It will only fit one way, so don’t worry about getting it on incorrectly.
• Only wear your temporary crown in this condition when you are NOT eating and NOT sleeping. If you wear it in this holding condition while eating or sleeping, it could easily come off, and you could swallow it or choke on it so remove it for eating and sleeping.
• It is very important to wear your temporary crown at least several hours each day in order to maintain the spacing. If you do not wear it some time each day, the permanent crown may not fit, and the procedure will have to be redone.
• Be sure and go to the appointment you made at our office to recement the temporary crown. There will be no charge for this appointment.